I used to rely on links to my writing samples when applying for jobs. But a couple of the recruiting firms I've worked with mentioned I should bring a portfolio to the interview with hard copies of some of my writing samples.
So here's the cover letter for a portfolio I recently put together for a marketing firm looking for a Digital Content Writer. I would change the cover letter and contents of the portfolio for each client.
At the end of the portfolio table of contents I include a brief "why I want to work for your company statement." This question is often asked during interviews so I like to be prepared for this one.
Do you bring a portfolio with you to your interviews? I would love to know what kind of stuff you include in your writing/freelance portfolio.
123 Main Street
Anytown, FL 12345
- Press release – Company A – released via PR Web
- Print ad – Company B – Free Frames – also published to website
- Print ad – Company B – 2 for $99 – also published to website
- Blog article – Company A – Sunglasses Protect Eyes from Winter Sun
- Web page – Company A – Choosing Your Eye Doctor
- Web page – Company B – Laboratory
- Web page – Company B – Safety Glasses
- Press release – Company B – CA Supreme Court Kills Optical Job Opportunities– also published to website
- Guest post – Company B – Supreme Court Ruling Affects Optical Store Expansion in California - published on Yahoo Voices
10. Patient education article – Company A – Smartphones & Computers
11. Patient education article – Company B – 10 Vision Risks of Smoking
12. Infographic – Company B – Progressive Lenses Technology
13. Infographic – Company B – Children & Myopia
14. Infographic – Company B – Anti-reflective Lenses
15. Infographic – Company B – Lenses That Transition
16. Press release – Company B – store opening – picked up by Wall Street Journal
Why do I want to work for XYZ Company?
I’ve been following your company on Facebook for the past couple of years. I feel that my recent job experience makes me the perfect candidate for your current job opportunity.
The content writer position key responsibilities tap in to my on-the-job experience of writing blog articles, press releases, web content pages and social media posts. While I have a general working knowledge of search engine optimization, I am looking forward to taking my knowledge to the next level by working with your SEO team.
During my down time, since parting ways with ABC Corp, I’ve taken a couple of continuing education classes. One of the classes was on Creating Web Pages to learn the basics of HTML5 and CSS3. I also completed the course Creating Word Press Websites to learn more about the backend of creating websites using the Word Press CMS.